Thursday, September 6, 2018

Blurred Vision

For over half my life I have worn glasses or contacts. My eyesight is so bad that I’m not even eligible for Lasik surgery. I used to say that all I wanted to do was “See my alarm clock when I wake up in the morning!!” Recently, something happened to my glasses and the right lens is so smudged/scratched that I can’t see clearly out of it, no matter how much I try to clean it. It’s nearly impossible to ignore.
Notice that I said NEARLY.
A very wise woman has often told me that “A person’s perception becomes their reality.” It occurs to me that at times we can become so used to ‘seeing’ sin that the line between right and wrong becomes blurred. We become so politically correct that we are afraid to stand up and call sin out. I don’t want to become so calloused and used to sin that it becomes commonplace in my life. When I excuse the behavior of others, the chance of me following the same behaviors increases. I need my “God-glasses” for me to see the world as it really is.
On the other hand, it would be easy for me to take my “God-glasses” and smudge them with my holier than thou attitude. With this attitude, it is easy to condemn others for their circumstances, without ever trying to help-in essence, ignoring the beggar outside of the gate-all the while excusing my own behavior because I’m above reproach in my “God-glasses.”
Lord, help me to see things from the right perspective and believe only those things which abide in Your Truth. Correct my vision, but keep me from smudging my world view. Open my eyes to the need and hurt in the world and help me stand strong in the face of sin and deceit.
Unblur my vision. <><

No comments:

Post a Comment